A couple of weeks ago at its annual meeting, Downtown Racine Corporation director Devin Sutherland announced the end of the Friday lunchtime summer musical series, due to a loss of its $6,500 sponsor. Well, that was then, this is now.
Yesterday DRC reported the receipt of a number of donations -- enough to support the series in 2009. Donors included:
- The Osborne and Scekic Family Foundation, which already supports the Summer Nights at the Square Saturday evening concerts.
- An anonymous donor, in honor of Downtown’s Olympia Brown Unitarian Universalist Church.
- John Dziekian, owner of Sign Pro, 1415 Layard Ave.
- Donna DeFatte's husband, Marty, donated in her name -- his Valentine’s Day gift.
- The Racine Board of Realtors "decided to go out of the box," according to Mike Voss, president.