Becker and Parks and Recreation Director Donnie Snow will meet with residents a few weeks after the mayor was roundly criticized at the John Bryant Community Center for failing to clearly communicate his plans for the city's community centers.
Rumors got out that Becker wanted to close the centers. Becker, instead, said he wanted to partner with outside nonprofits to provide more programming in the centers.
"The existing community centers are a critically important part of the quality of life that we enjoy in Racine," Becker said last week in a press release put out by City Administrator Ben Hughes. "I care deeply about the programs and facilities that we offer to our citizens. As such I have proposed an additional $40,000 in programming funds for the community centers in my 2008 budget. Director Snow and I believe that it is important that we visit all five community centers to listen to the thoughts of those citizens who use the centers."
Here is the schedule for the listening sessions. They all start at 6 pm.
- Monday, October 29th – Bryant Community Center, 601 21st St.
- Tuesday, October 30th – Tyler-Domer Community Center, 2301 Twelfth Street
- Monday, November 12th – Dr. Martin Luther King Community Center, 1134 Dr. MLK Dr.
- Tuesday, November 13th – Humble Park Community Center, 2200 Blaine Ave.
- Monday, November 19th – Cesar Chavez Community Center, 2221 Douglas Ave.