It must be a weird spot for Hughes, who was hired by Becker and worked closely with the mayor. Now, he's taking the final steps of erasing Becker from the city's employ. Here's the email from Hughes (written Wednesday to City Attorney Rob Weber, another Becker hire) laying out the final steps:
I am seeking your advice and assistance regarding a few potential unresolved issues with Gary Becker. If you agree, I suggest that you communicate with attorney Pat Cafferty to seek his help in resolving the issues:
1. It is my understanding that Gary Becker still is in possession of a key to the exterior of City Hall doors and a key to the Office of the Mayor. These should be returned to us as soon as possible.
2. As Mayor, Gary Becker was issued an official City purchasing card. I asked the Finance Department to cancel this card last week and this was accomplished. However, Gary is still in possession of the actual card and I recommend that it be returned to us as soon as possible.
3. It is my understanding that as Mayor, Gary Becker was in possession of a device that allowed him to park (without a charge or fee) in all public parking garages within Racine. I will defer to Rick Jones to confirm if this is accurate. If so, this should be returned to us as soon as possible.
4. I also believe that Gary Becker was given an official city parking sign for placement in his rearview mirror while conducting city business. While this is not critically important, I do believe that this should be returned to us.
5. I will defer to Paul Ancona to determine if any electronic devices (laptops, cameras, etc.) owned by the City are still in the possession of Gary Becker. While I understand that many of the electronic devices have already been seized, I do want Paul's verification that everything is accounted for.
Please let me know your thoughts. Also, please let me know if I have missed any items on my list.