October 16, 2008
The power of Dooley
Wow. Fred Dooley is totally inside the heads of Racine Unified, the JT (and now apparently me too!). The Real Debate Wisconsin blogger has the district reviewing policies after he posted an anonymous (and unsubstantiated) complaint from a Unified parent upset about Barack Obama being included in a school text book.
The JT continues to follow on this story, reporting today the district will review how it selects textbooks and how it handles complaints about textbooks.
The JT story also notes that the district has yet to receive a complaint about the book. So let's review ...
1. Fred Dooley writes a post from an anonymous parent upset about excerpts from Barack Obama's autobiography in a middle school text book. He calls it "indoctrination."
2. The story spreads around to other blogs and media.
3. The JT reports Dooley's story claiming a parent complained about the book without talking to the parent (or even confirming they exist).
4. Unified will now review its textbook policies and how it handles the complaints.
5. The JT reports this review, while still noting no parent has complained to the district about the book.
6. Fred Dooley laughs and laughs and laughs.