February 28, 2008

Unified: Student threatened 'Columbine-style' attack on Walden

UPDATE, 2/29/08: WRJN is airing a phone call from a woman who says she is the mother of the student who allegedly made the threat. The woman called the station yesterday afternoon.

The caller describes her son as "a straight-A student, who made a terrible decision. It was just talk, not a threat.... He and a few of his friends were making a joke in poor taste and poor judgment and should suffer the consequences for that."

She said there were "extenuating circumstances" including the fact that her son "doesn't even know where Columbine was" or what happened there.
- - -

Unified put out a statement on reports that a student at Walden III High School threatened to carry out a "Columbine-style" attack on the school.

Here's what the district is saying:

* On Wednesday, Walden III school staff was made aware that a student had made comments about a ‘Columbine-style’ attack on the school.

* When the staff became aware, staff took it very seriously and involved the Racine Police Department immediately.

* The situation is currently under investigation by the Police Department and the Racine Unified School District.

* The threat did not affect the safety of our school or disturb instruction.

* There will be an increased police presence at the school as well as additional security procedures implemented. The district asks that students and parents cooperate with these new procedures even though it may be inconvenient.

* Disciplinary actions have been taken by the district against the student who allegedly made the threats and the district continues to investigate this matter.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like one of the arrogant cops who work at the school is trying to make a name for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, anonymous, would you feel this way if no one reacted to this comment and something happened? It is a very sad fact for our young people---heck, our whole country-- that this has to be a concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to add: my child was one of the several students who heard the comments, saw the kid writing a list, and didn't want to go back to school the next day. I found out that the school had already heard about it when I called. The whole thing is sad, the kid was just being stupid BUT THIS HAPPENS WAY TOO OFTEN in this world!

    Just like the other person said, what if no one reacted and something DID happen. How would you feel if you as a parent ignored your child when he reported that a kid was going to come in to school and start shooting eighth graders AND he was writing down names? What if YOUR child reported this to you and you did NOTHING?

    Would you want to be responsible for the death of your child or another because you didn't take action? There was a near shooting (the kid took hostages and shot himself) in Wisconsin last year; people were shocked, he seemed like such a normal child.

    I feel for the parents, I hear it's a very nice family and a good boy and I would be so sick and sad if my child did that. I guess he's doing fine at another school and I hope he lets this fade away into his memories. I felt ill when I called the school, I felt like I was rignt and wrong, but my child was TERRIFIED and I knew this was too serious to keep to myself. I would not have been able to live with myself if anything HAD happened. It had already been reported, they handled it well.

    God bless the young man and his family; I feel for them.

    ReplyDelete