January 5, 2009

RUSD board president won't seek re-election

Tony Baumgardt is stepping down from the Racine Unified School Board.

Baumgardt, elected to the board in 2006 and its president since 2007, released a statement today declaring that he will not run for re-election in April. He also said that due to an illness in his family, he will not be available for further comment. His statement said:
"I have decided not to run for re-election to the Racine Unified School District Board. I have had a very rewarding experience over the past three years, but it is necessary that I concentrate on other facets of my life at this point. I believe that I am leaving the Board with the district in the position of moving forward, and I urge the community to join RUSD in its mission to 'Educate Every Student to Succeed' by getting all of our students college or career ready upon graduation from high school."
Local elections are on April 7; if a primary is needed, it will be on Feb. 17. The terms of two other RUSD board members are up this year: Don J. Nielsen, Gretchen L. Warner.

1 comment:

  1. I like Tony Baumgardt and think he is a straight-shooter.

    However, he is supposed to file a declaration of non-candidacy if he chooses not to run. That form was to be filed with the clerk in mid-December.

    The fact that it was not filed in a timely manner, it may require the clerk to extend the deadline for filing nomination papers an extra 3 days until January 9, 2009.

    Pete you should check into this!

    ReplyDelete