One year and three months after he took office, Mayor John Dickert is preparing to release the 10-year plan for the City of Racine that he based his winning campaign on. He'll have the help of our local newspaper.
Dickert is working with The Journal Times to coordinate release of his plan. The arrangement came after JT Publisher Mark Lewis met with the mayor and ordered him to produce a 10-year plan. Dickert agreed.
Racine's daily newspaper was scheduled to release the plan this weekend, but publication was pushed back to allow the paper to follow the mayor around and document him implementing his 10-year plan. JT City Reporter Paul Sloth is on the story.
The mayor is giving the JT an exclusive on the release of his 10-year plan, something he hinted at a few months ago during an online chat at the JT's website. He will then release the document to the public.
RacinePost filed an open records request with the Mayor's office Wednesday to receive a copy of the plan.
Here's a story that looks at the history of Dickert's promise of a 10-year plan.
Dickert was elected mayor in May 2009 with the promise of making Racine a "Top 10 city in 10 years." Here's what his campaign website says, verbatim, about his plans ...
We CAN and WILL make Racine a top-ten American city, (like Surprise, Arizona, Wilmington, Delaware or Zapata, Texas) through long term planning with aggressive goals and measurable benchmarks for success.
Solve Racine’s three core issues: jobs, crime, and housing. These are interconnected:
- If you improve job opportunities, you put people to work, giving them opportunities for a brighter future.
- If you reduce crime, you attract commerce and raise property values
- If you improved housing, you attract talent, improve quality of life and strengthen civic pride
- Offer a long term, comprehensive city plan that addresses jobs, crime, and housing in a coordinated fashion
- Continually identify and initiate progress initiative goals and work toward accomplishing them in a comprehensive and cohesive manner. The strength of our region depends upon cooperation and coordination.
- Establish transparent roadmap with success benchmarks that illustrate what we intend to do and our progress towards those goals — this allows an informed public to hold mayor accountable
Get more Post! Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Want to advertise? Learn how!