April 5, 2010
Recycling carts will start being delivered April 26
The city has some new information out about its new recycling program. Here are some details about how this will work:
* City residents will start receiving new recycling carts on Monday, April 26. All carts will be delivered by Friday, May 14.
* All homeowners will receive a 65-gallon cart. Single family homes will receive one cart, two-family homes will receive two carts, three family homes will receive three carts and four-family homes will receive four carts.
* Recycling pickup with the new carts will begin the week of May 17 or May 24, depending on what recycling route you live on. (The city's Public Works Department says these dates may be wrong.
* Residents will be able to exchange their 65-gallon cart for a 35-gallon or 95 gallon cart after a 30-day trial period.
* Non-residential businesses will receive a 95-gallon recycling cart.
* Residents do not have to sort or bag their recyclables in the carts. They throw everything into the container and the different materials are sorted out a regional recycling plant.
* Residents should not use blue bags for recyclables placed in the containers. Recyclable items should be placed loose in the carts.
* If you have more recyclables than will fit in the cart, you can bundle newspapers or magazines and put them next to the cart, or use the clear blue garbage bags.
* Here's a list of acceptable recyclables.